|SRI LANKAN BEEF CURRY (Harak Mas)
1.5 kg Stewing beef (cut into pieces)
- Wash the beef pieces and drain water thoroughly.
- Add vinegar, crushed garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, 1 tbs curry powder and red chili.
- Coat the beef pieces well with the spices and set aside for about 1/2 hour.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Fry curry leaves, black mustard seeds and rampe.
- Add onions and fry until soft.
- Add tumeric, remaining curry powder, stir 2 mins
- Add the beef and stir for sometime.
- Add cinnamon, lemon grass, cardamom, cloves and stir until well mixed.
- Add tomato paste (or sauce) and stir until all pieces are well coated (If the curry is too dry and tend to stick to the saucepan, add 1 cup water/beef stock & stir).
- Close with a lid and allow the beef to cook on slow heat.
- Add the thick coconut milk (or fresh milk) and bring to a boil without covering.
- Taste and adjust salt.
ROASTED CURRY POWDER INGREDIENTS
1 cup Coriander seeds
1/2 cup Cummin seeds
1 tbs Fennel seeds
1 Cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole Cloves
1 tsp Cardamom seeds
10-15 dried curry leaves
5-6 dried red Chillies (optional)
5-6 dried Rampe pieces
1 tbs black pepper seeds
2 tbs raw rice
METHOD: In a dry pan, over low heat, roast each ingredient separately. Stir constantly (Coriander, Cummin, Fennel and rice must be fairly brown but do not let them burn). Mix all the roasted ingredients, put into a grinder and grind to a fine powder. Store in an air tight jar.
Recipe for Some Sri Lankan Delights: Courtesy of Lakmali Hewa..